Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mom & me conversations

We talk about being in the hospital and not giving up hope. Conversations like this are what helped me become so accepting. Classic opening line.



Me: God dammit I'm tired!
Mom: o.k.
Me: I'm fucking tired.
Mom:I'm having a really good conversation with Larry. I asked Larry "What would you do if mom had an accident and was in the hospital? What would you tell me?
Hmmm????
Me: I'm tired, Mom! I'm tired! I have to get me myself some sleep, you know that??
Mom: O.k...after she feeds you your orange juice.
(simultaneously)
Me: After she me my orange juice.
Mom: I got covered in kaopectate one day from head to foot, and I was right over here.
Me: After she feeds me the orange juice, mom.
Mom: Lar
Me: Yes
Mom: What would you tell Mommy if I was in the hospital?
Me: I would tell you, I’d tell you, Look Mom, you’re in the hospital, man. You need to be cured. But it’s gonna cost a lot of money to cure you, so we’re not gonna be able to cure you
Mom: Yeah, but I have insurance that pays for everything. Then what would you tell me? How would you help me be brave if I was in the hospital??
Me: I’d say “ Look, let’s call up your insurance company, o.k.?
Mom: No, that wouldn’t make me brave, what words would you give me?
What would you say? “Mom, I know you had a bad accident, Mom” Then what would you tell me, cause you’re my best friend, aren’t you?
Me: That there is the possibility of us getting better.
Mom: Yes, there is.
You tell Mommy to always have hope, o.k.?
And what else would you say?
Never give up…
Me: Never give up?
Mom: That’s right.
Me: Yeah, I could say that.
Mom: O.k., and would you tell me it’s o.k. to be mad if I was in the hospital?
Me: O.k.
Mom: is it?
Me: I‘d say tell you yes.
Mom: And what else would you say?
Me: Yeah, I could say “Hey mom….never give hope”
Mom: That would be a good thing to tell me, wouldn’t it?
Me: Yes it would.
Mom: And would you stay by my side?
Would you be there for me when I needed you?
Me: Yes I would.
Mom: I know you would. It’s hard when someone you love is hurt.
You sometimes don’t know the right thing to say. But I think you would, wouldn’t you?
Me: mmhmm
Mom: And you’d want me to get better, you’d want me to want to get better?
Me: I would know.
Mom: You would know what to say
Me: I would know what to say, Mom.
Mom: Yeah
Me: Because I know that you…because I know you, and I know what you would say??
Mom: What would I say?
Me: Some stuff.
Mom: o.k. That’s cause we’re alike.
I’m so proud of the progress you’re making, Larry.
And I’m so glad you’re trying hard to get better.
And I want you to remember that if you get angry, it’ s o.k.
But I don’t ever want to see you give up hope, because that will make me angry
Me: Because that will make me angry.
Mom (at the same time as my last statement): You need to always, always have hope.
…and always have faith that you’re going to get better
Me:That’ll make me angry
Mom: and you always gotta try, o.k?
Me: Always have to give up faith.
Mom: No, no…you always have…
Me: THAT’LL MAKE ME FUCKING ANGRY, MOM!
Mom: Uh ah
Me: If I give up faith!
Mom: Faith (simultaneously with my “faith”) and we…
Me: THATLL MAKE ME ANGRY
You know that’s
Mom; OK, We’re we’re not angry now, we’re talking about hope.
Me: You know that..that will make me angry.
Mom: What will?
Me: If I give up anger
Mom: If you give up…..
Me: If I give up hope?
Mom: NEVER give it up, O.K.?
I’m gonna go home. Mom’s real tired. I’ve got…thank goodness all week’s been a short week, I’ve been able to get here early.
Me: How have you done thus far?
Mom: I’ve done o.k. I want you to keep well, o.k.? Get that temperature down, and I’d love you to try spit that out. I know it’s hard for you. O.k.
Me; Oh god….I’m going to try and get some sleep.
Mom: O.k., honey, I love you.
Me: I’m going to try and get some sleep now.
Mom: O.k. honey, Good night.
Me: Good night.
Mom: I love you.
Me: Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment