Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Lar-a-thon


Anyone who knows me knows that music is a big part of my life. It has affected every aspect of my life. I was working at the campus radio station, KUCI, at the time of my accident. My group of friends were mostly all from KUCI. The night of the accident, I was with this group of friends at a concert that was promoted by the radio station. I had coordinated a ticket giveaway for the concert, the Meat Puppets at The Coach House. I had notoriously interviewed the band earlier that day on the station (“notoriously” because I had been put up to doing the interview with a band that I knew virtually nothing about, with them making me sound like a fool).

It is therefore no surprise that my friends used music to show their support for me. The following week, my best friend and radio partner Marian used our radio slot and a couple other radio slots to hold a "Lar-a-thon", playing music that I loved, that could encourage me, and told stories with other DJs who came to the station for the show. I know I was touched then (or at least a few weeks after when I finally heard it… I was “out of it” at the time), and it still chokes me up and makes me smile to this day.

Thanks to modern technology, I was able to take this tape and digitize it and share it with the world. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do.

The wonderful people who participated in the Lar-a-thon:

Marian Cordry
Skeetor (Bill Derouchey)
Christa Lauer
Mina Milani
Toby
Rechenmacher
Kevin Stockdale
Angela Martin
Carol Moore
Angela Martin
Steve Rice
Dave Mathieson
Adeela Zuhurudin
Troy Hansborough

The Songs:

Eurythmics – Take the Pain Away

Velvet Underground – Im Sticking With You

Game Theory – Erica’s Word

Billy Bragg- A New England

Jane’s Addiction – I Would For You

Jane’s Addiction- Standing in The Shower Thinking

Japan: Adolescent Sex

(a funny radio ID with Rajneeshnesh)

Mission UK: Black Mountain Mist

(a funny bit in here with Marian about my writing..and almost prophetically saying I was “meant to be a doctor”)

Bourgeois-Tagg – I Don’t Mind At All

Dan Crow - Oops

Prefab Sprout - Hey Manhattan!

Three O' Clock - Love Explosion

Style Council - You're The Best Thing

(Eric Nusbaum call-in)

The Church - A New Season

Pixies - Cactus

Minutemen - King Of The Hill

Ramones - Something To Believe In

Dream Academy - In The Hands Of Love

(Mina & Marian Top Of Pops story...and Marian touches me to this day by being the first person in my life to call me their "best friend")

Gene Loves Jezebel - Coal Porter

Wild Man Fischer - My Name Is Larry

Led Zeppelin - Good Times/Bad Times

Guns & Roses - Rocket Queen

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Get Up and Jump

David Bowie - Up the Hill Backwards

David Bowie - Somebody Up there Likes me

(Dave call in)

Iggy Pop - Repo Man

(Poodle with a Limp ID)

Prince- Lady Cab Driver

Eurythmics-Miracle Of Love

Poco loco show

Swamp Zombies -Purple Haze

Swamp Zombies - Zombie Jamboree

Queen - Bohemian Rhapsody

Jane's Addiction - Jane Says

Download your very own copy of the show here, suitable for playing on the portable player of your choice, your computer, or burning on a CD. (right click it to copy, by the way..or ctrl-click for mac users)

No comments:

Post a Comment