Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Larry reminisces

Wherein I figure out where I am and why I am there.



Mom: What day is today?
No look at the calendar.
Me: July……4th
Mom: Today…..look, look at the month.
See it? October.
Today’s October 9th, 19…..
Me: 1988.
Mom: Oh good..and what hospital is this?
Me: St. Joseph’s
Mom: What hospital?
Me: St. Joseph’s.
Mom: No.
Me: Thank you very much, Mom
Mom: What hospital is it?
Me: Thank you very much, MOM!
Me: MOM! ST……….JOSEPH’S!!!!
Mom: Starts with an “M”
Me: ST…..MARY’S.
Mom: The hospital starts with an “M”
Me: (insistently) St. Mary’s…he told us.
Mom: Now think.
Me: Mother Mary’s
Mom: Lar
Me: What!
Mom: Do you know where you are?
Me: He said MOTHER MARY’S…MOM!!!!!! (getting frustrated)
HE SAID MOTHER MARY’S, DIDN’T HE?
Mom: Larry…do you know where you are?
Me: Josa Children Hospital…in santa ana
Mom: Why are you in the hospital?
Me: Im here…for..my insides.
MOM..I’M SICK..O.K…I’M SICK..
Mom: Why are you sick, what happened?
Me: I’m..sick.
Mom: What happened?
Me: I was born… with no …insides!
Mom: No…you have insides
You’re just fine.
Something happened on the night of August…..(thinking)…31st.
Me: I lost my mind.
Mom: You think so?
Me: MOM!! WHERE..DID…MY MIND..GO??
(ED note: “Where Is My Mind? By the Pixies was one of the most played songs on my radio show)
Mom: I don’t know. Think.
Me: Mom…I got..in an accident.
Mom: with who?
Me: with a girl.
Mom: What was her name?
Me: Carol.
Mom: Think.
Me: Kristy.
Mom: yeah…and what happened?
Me: It was MY FAULT!
Mom: Why?
Me: Because I shoulda never gone.
MOM…..I SHOULDA…NEVER..GONE!
Mom: Where did you go?
Me: We went..to…miniature golf.
Mom: You went to a concert.
Me: We went to a concert, she said.
Mom: You saw something about Meat….
Me: Mom…..who’d I go see?
Mom: Meat…Meat Potatoes..or something…I don’t
Me: Meat Puppets.
Mom: Meat Puppets
Me: Ahblah the eat Puppets, Mom, and I went with Christa and we both…shit..MOM! WE BOTH…GOT IN AN ACCIDENT..ON THE WAY OUT! (increasingly angrier) MOM!
Mom: yeah?
Me: MOM!
Mom: it’s o.k.
Me: Mom.
Mom: what?
Me: We got in an accident on the way out…which we should have never have gotten in
Mom: How come?
Me: Cause she..went..the wrong way.
(someone came in for something)
Mom: What did she do?
Me: Turned, Mom…she turned…out..and…there were cars coming towards her.
Mom: Oh…(handing me something)
Me: Mom….I don’t want anything, ok.?
(pause)
Me: I don’t want any, thank you.
(pause)
Me: Mom…I don’t want any of that.
(pause)
Me: Mom…I don’t want any, thank you.
(pause)
Mom: O.k…
Me: I don’t want anything.
Mom: So what did she so? You said she what? She turned the wrong way?
Me: On the turn lane, started turning…there were still cars turning.
Mom: Yeah….and she hit someone or someone hit her?
Me: Someone hit her.
Mom: and then what did your car do??
Me: it turned.
Mom: Upside down.
Me: around
Mom: yeah…do you remember it?
Me: upside down (simultaneously with mom)
Me: (increasingly angrier) I DON’T REMEMBER IT. I WASN’T EVEN IN IT, MOM. I WASN’T IN IT, O.K.? I WASN’T…IN IT.
Mom: O.k…so then the ambulance brought you here. Do you know where you are?
Me: yes.
Mom: where?
Me: Mission Community
Mom: That’s right.
Mom: You’re at Mission Community Hospital.
Me: Mission Community.
Mom: That’s right.
Me: They took us here Mom.
Mom: O.k…good!

No comments:

Post a Comment